Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Chapter 2 (b): Teachers can even be experts in different aspects of teaching.


Petersen, P.L., & Comeaus, M.A. (1987).Teachers’ schemata for classroom events: The mental scaffolding of teachers’ thinking during classroom instruction. Teaching scaffolding and Teacher Education, 3, 319-331. (PK23).

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/tbarcalow/EdPsy362/S6M1.htm

This article was very interesting it talks about comparing novice social studies teachers to experienced social studies teachers. The researchers wanted to look at the other studies of experts and noticed that expert chess players and experts at solving physics problems seemed to have large memories and evaluated situations using advanced schemata. The researchers used this background to hypothesize that studying expert teachers would yield similar results. They found that experienced teachers have more verbal abilities, more recall of classroom events, and more elaboration in discussing classroom situations. The researchers concluded that the schemata of experienced teachers is more cognitively complex.

I can’t say that I agree with this article in regards to that you must be a 10 year teacher to be an expert. In the past I had so many teachers and professors that have not perfected their skills and they are already a veteran teacher. I believe that teachers have some of the characteristics of being an expert such as: being flexible and dynamic, having background knowledge which contributes to problem solving, domain specific, and one who devotes time to work hard in one area. As mentioned in the articles teachers can even be experts in different aspects of teaching, such as classroom management, motivation, or curriculum design.

Yes, being an expert teacher means knowing your content area and how to teach it. I believe that motivation is the key to being an expert. After a couple of years some teachers feel burnt out and lose their motivation to education youth. This in tells that even though you have been working for 10 years as a teacher, it does not mean that you are an expert in your content area.

No comments: