
“With Guam being a melting pot, teachers should understand that each classroom is also a mini melting pot full of different types of ingredients. It is the teacher’s duty to be the cook and make sure that the outcome is a wonderful dish.”
Devi Barcinas
Another topic that interested me was transfer and cultural practices. I found this topic to be very interesting because it relates to me. I was born in the Philippines and raised there until I was three years of age. After my third birthday my mother moved me to Guam with my eight year old brother. While I was in the Philippines I latched on to the Filipino culture and so did my brother. Coming to Guam was a big culture shock. I grew up in a strict non Americanize catholic home. My father was in the military and my mother was already Americanize because they had been traveling around the world with my sister.
As per my education, when I started attending school I brought so much prior knowledge to the table due to my up bringing that it would clash with the teacher and my classmates. You, see in the Filipinos children really respect their elders by not speaking until they are spoken to. In the class we are encourage to speak our mined. I got in trouble many times for not participating in group discussions. Until one day my mother came to school to explain to my teacher my situation. Through the passing years I have changed and adapted to the Americanize way of living on Guam.
The main problem with my teacher was that she did not take the time to ask what was wrong. She just assumed that I did not want to participate in the activities. As teachers we should take the time and learn each student’s culture and their pass life experiences. It does not have to be in detailed but just by asking a child if their parents are in the military it tell a lot of the child. The best way also to find out prior knowledge is to get some information from the parents.
Devi Barcinas
Another topic that interested me was transfer and cultural practices. I found this topic to be very interesting because it relates to me. I was born in the Philippines and raised there until I was three years of age. After my third birthday my mother moved me to Guam with my eight year old brother. While I was in the Philippines I latched on to the Filipino culture and so did my brother. Coming to Guam was a big culture shock. I grew up in a strict non Americanize catholic home. My father was in the military and my mother was already Americanize because they had been traveling around the world with my sister.
As per my education, when I started attending school I brought so much prior knowledge to the table due to my up bringing that it would clash with the teacher and my classmates. You, see in the Filipinos children really respect their elders by not speaking until they are spoken to. In the class we are encourage to speak our mined. I got in trouble many times for not participating in group discussions. Until one day my mother came to school to explain to my teacher my situation. Through the passing years I have changed and adapted to the Americanize way of living on Guam.
The main problem with my teacher was that she did not take the time to ask what was wrong. She just assumed that I did not want to participate in the activities. As teachers we should take the time and learn each student’s culture and their pass life experiences. It does not have to be in detailed but just by asking a child if their parents are in the military it tell a lot of the child. The best way also to find out prior knowledge is to get some information from the parents.
1 comment:
After reading your blog, I stopped and realized that I am a one of those teachers. I can't believe it! I am so ashamed of myself because I believe so much that I am the master of the classroom and that when student's don't respond, it's simply because they choose not to in disrespect. I should stop and actually think about cultural diversity and take into consideration all other aspects of the students. I know from now on, I will be changing my ways and take time out to simply ask.
Thanks for the simple reminder that we all should understand cultural differences.
Post a Comment